- Born: Aug 31st. 1903 (Janmashtami)
- Father: Pt. B.N. Misra, Advocate
- Demise:Oct. 14th, 1975 (Dushehra)
Pt. Kanhaiya Lal Misra was the Fourth Advocate General (Appointed 1952 Resigned 1969), after general elections were held for the first time in the United Province, India (1937), to form a responsible government under the Government of India Act, 1935
Pt. Kanhaiya Lal Misra - was born in Mariyadpur (a very backward area with no transportation links), district Azamgarh, U.P., India, on Krishna Janmashtami and was so named.
He was the eldest of the four sons and one daughter of Pt. Baijnath Misra, a top lawyer, both in civil and criminal side, at the Azamgarh bar and an M.L.C. for a long period of time. Pt. Baijnath Misra was an exceptional student who topped in his Matriculation and Intermediate Examination. During the British rule he was a Member of the Legislative Council for a number of years. His name is mentioned with compliment by Mr. Niblet, District Magistrate, Azamgarh, in a book written by him after he retired.
Pt. Kanhaiya Lal Misra married twice.
His first marriage was to Smt. Savitri Devi who had two children Shanti (daughter) and Vijay (son) and after her demise he married Smt. Gayatri Devi who gave birth to the remaining children: Ravindra (son), Ajay (son), Jyoti (daughter), Priti (daughter), Ranjan (son) and Munindra (son).
Pt. Kanhaiya Lal Misra too had a shining education career. He never stood second in his life. His schooling started at the village, then at Banaras (Varanasi) in the Theosophical School under Dr. Mrs. Annie Beasant.
He kept his emotions in control, was soft spoken, sober, kind, and benevolent and lived a very simple life. His concentration was immense and he demanded very little from life – except books. He was very rarely emotional but enjoyed life and loved laughter yet maintained a low profile and very high traditions. He was simple, not only in the way he dressed in his dhoti and kurta, but also in his thoughts, words and deeds. He mixed freely with all and ever extended his eager hands – helping all in need.
Pt. K.L. Misra left the mortal body on 14th October 1975, on Dushehra. His body, draped with the national flag, was carried to the ‘sangam’ – the point of mergence of the rivers Ganga and Jamuna, and there, with the setting of the sun, he was cremated, with full state honours and the last gun salutes. His last mortal bodily strides now stood concluded and this final last journey was filled with a sea of persons who loved, respected and cherished him.